Regional Pilot Project
A series of pilot projects are under implementation together with GWP's Regional Associates to test and demonstrate the applicability of IFM principles. Experiences and lessons learned form the pilot projects will be used to prepare detailed plans for major projects in the regions.
Timeframe for Pilot Projects:
- 2002-2003: Proposal, development and initiation of pilot projects
- 2003-2004: Implementation of pilot projects
- 2004-2005: Continuing Implementation, evaluation and dissemination of results
- 2005-2006: Results to be presented to decision makers for large-scale implementation
On-going pilot project activities
- South Asia
The pilot project is named "Community Approaches to Flood Management" and is being implemented in selected flood-prone villages in Bangladesh, India and Nepal.
The pilot project is focusing on drawing up a strategy for the adoption of IFM for the rivers draining into the Lake Victoria Basin in Kenya.
- Central and Eastern Europe
The pilot project titled "Study of the Historical Floods from IFM Viewpoint" are planed to review the recent floods across the CEE region with special emphasis on flash floods from all relevant aspects to identify the most appropriate tools for forward integration of flood warnings.
- South America
The pilot project is being developed in the basin of the River Cuareim/Quareim shared between Brazil and Uruguay to promote the concept of IFM.
- Central America ( planned )
[ Advisory material | Regional pilot projects | Creation of a network in flood management ]